Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Addiction


This is a gentle warning... be careful that the blog world doesn't suck you in. It is a new enough cultural phenomena that it isn't a DSMIV classified addiction yet - but it will be. Our parent's generation has spent countless hours in front of the TV. Our generation will be known for its literal years spent blogging. Don't be a statistic!!!!!


Symptoms include:

  • Saying to oneself, "Hmm. That was pretty _____ (insert deep, witty, funny, etc.) - I might blog that!"
  • Going to the blogger home page and searching for blogs from obscure high school friends and college acquaintances
  • Spending more than an hour rabbit trailing blog links
  • Taking pictures with the express purpose of posting them later that day
  • Teaching yourself html so you can keep up with so-and-so's customized blog
  • Checking your blog more than three times a day for new comments
  • Sending out mass emails each time you post
  • Referring complete strangers to your blog
  • Posting at 2:15 AM

(Please consult your phsycian if you can say yes to three more more of the above symptoms)

By the way - if you're cynical of the blogging world... if you have resisted the desire to activate a blog because of what you have labeled 'peer pressure'... then you may have a predisposed susceptibility to blogging addiction. Proceed with caution!!!

5 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Lani - exactly :)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger pk said...

I definitely have this sickness. Here's my question though, can I consult my physician on-line?? ;-)

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Jenn Swift said...

I am wondering if perhaps the "cynical" comment was made in regards to my recent e-mail? Just wondering.

I made note of your helpful check-off list and referred your blog to someone who, not even a 1/2 hour before my reading of this, had mentioned she was going to learn HTML to have a better blog... incidentally she mentioned she also took some pictures today to put on her blog.

I want to thank you for the warning signs of addiction that you have specified for the blogging and non-blogging-but-know-bloggers community. Your contributions have been very helpful. I am sure we will, indeed, find them publicized in future editions of the appropriate psychological resources. materials

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Jenn,
Yup. Thought I should do something with that college degree I got in psychology. Fratzke would be so proud.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger kate debaene said...

and andrea, as the blogger that mentioned to jenn that i needed to learn some html, i wanted to thank you for helping me out with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home