Sunday, November 06, 2005

racial claustrophobia




















Jeremy and I used to be avid movie goers (like most MWNK *married-with-no-kids* couples of our generation). Then Macy came along - and we still went to the movies. We were one of the couples who bring their baby into the theatre with them. Then Macy started doing more than sleep all day, causing me to have a revelation. Today I woke up and realized we had become one of THOSE married couples. You know, the ones that - when a recent movie comes up in conversation - shake their heads and say, "We haven't been to a movie in ages!"

Which is why I only just saw the movie, CRASH, last night. I'm sure you saw it months ago in the theatre. Well, rest assured, it was still enjoyable from my laptop!

I thought the movie was brilliant, and it certainly provoked meaningful dialogue in our house. Set in LA spanning two days, the movie followed several characters with different racial backgrounds. Eventually, these character's lives 'collide' in ways that reveal prejudice, stereotypes and a glimmer of hope.

Just a few ideas the movie asked me to think about:

  • Everyone carries prejudice and, given the right set of circumstances, will (re)act out of those prejudices in ways that surprise even them. Paranoia and fear will make the sanest person do the most irrational thing. The quote from the film that sticks out to me - "You think you know who you are. You have no idea."
  • The movie unfolds in such a way that the veiwers own prejudices are exposed. I found myself surprised by the dark sides that emerged in people I had labeld as 'good' and the heroic actions of characters I had stereotyped as 'bad'. There are no heroes or villains in the story - just everyday people who are products of their environment, family, and frustrations; they ache in very human ways to connect and protect, but are stunted by their own fears and anger.
  • We've always been told to 'flee from sin' - so the sex addict stays away from the internet, the alcoholic avoids bars, and the gambler keeps out of the casinos. Don't keep company with people who bring out the worst in you. BUT... when it comes to the sin of prejudice, it seems the opposite is warranted. The best way to deal with our personal stereotypes is to immerse ourselves in the very circumstances which arouse our prejudice. In fact, avoiding our prejudice seems to grow it - breeding a sleeping giant of intolerance that will eventually rear its ugly head.

If you've had a chance to see the movie... what did you think?

What subtle ways do you see intolerance in your world?

Is there room for warranted cautiousness without crossing the line into intolerance?

5 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger pk said...

In the top three of movies I've seen this year, ranked in this order:

1) Constant Gardener
2) Crash
3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Interesting that you remarked on the horribly evil and amazingly heroic being bound together in the same characters. That was one of many things that stuck out to me too. I think at any given moment or season in life we are capable of phenonemal good as well as horrible evil. I think that thought inspires me to lean into God's grace regularly that I might live more of the former than the latter.

Love the movie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger David Drury said...

:-)

Kathy and I had 5 couples over last night for a suprise b-day party for one of kathy's friends.

At one point in a conversational lull I said, "So, has anyone seen any good movies this year."

They all sat in stunned silence... crickets chirping.

Then they all realized like you say, "it's been ages since we've seen a movie."

From there we talked at least 5 minues about Diego, Dora, Blues Clues and Barney.

AAAAAAAhhhhhhhh!!!!!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Michael Moore said...

When I saw CRASH I too was very moved. It amazed me at just how true to life the story is. Everyday we judge other people for reasons that are mainly cultural. We pass underserved judgements on people everyday because of how they look or dress. When I watched the movie I realized that we, as people and as the church, do not see people with the eyes of Christ like we should. I was also amazed to see how everyones actions, no matter how small, reall do change other peoples lives.

awesome movie!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jess said...

You make me want to watch it...thanks for the review...Mark and I don't have kids, but we often find ourselves saying the same thing :) [mostly b/c of costs]. it's good for me to wait for reviews like this so I can spend money on the movies that I know will be good :).

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey andria...found your blog through kate z's.

this movie broke me. it was like mystic river, if you got to see that. when the movie was over, it felt like a part of me was depressed. but in a good way. the kind of emotional slap to the face you want when you go to the movies. very few movies evoke such a physical response. it's one of those movies i'd like to use in youth ministry if i could get all the swearing and sex out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home