Emergent Jews?

A frustrated rabbi "quit his congregation two years ago and opened a nonprofit for Jews who feel most synagogues have forsaken them." Apparently there is a growing movement within Judaism to abandon "traditional worship in search of a more personal connection with God that they said they can't find in temple." Emerging Jewish leaders "hope this new "emergent Judaism" might help bring young Jews back at least to some style of worship."
What I find interesting is that these disillusioned Jews initiated a gathering with like-minded evangelicals a few weeks ago in Simi Valley, CA. Some of these like minded evangelicals were people who have been labeled as leaders of the church that is emerging (see emergent's leadership). Said Rabbi Gartenberg, "We told them, 'You guys are maybe five to 10 years ahead of us, and we want to know what you did right and what you did wrong,'" he said.
See the whole article HERE.
Has there ever been a gathering in recent history where Jews and Evangelicals swapped strategy ideas? I find this fascinating!


5 Comments:
Independent church/religious movements begin without much structure. They are dynamic, agile. Think of a denomination as a ship. If a ship is too heavy with with excess superstructure and cargo not related to its purpose, it moves more and more slowly and it is harder to guide it or get it to change direction. Eventually, small groups begin letting down lifeboats and powerboats in new directions. Those boats begin taking on more structure and size and begin to turn into ships. The Emergent movement could become an example of that. That's not bad. A lifeboat may not be able to survive a long time on the open ocean. You want to become a ship with structure, capacity, engines, fuel, and more people. You can keep developing in ways that make you a better ship. The trouble is when you add lots of things that do not relate to your purpose, or leave out things that are essential for ships. (By the way, your link just went to the picture, but I found the AP article by searching.)
Great find Andrea! Thanks. You point out an interesting thing: groups can often find an "affinity of method" with others far flung from their own core doctrines. I’ve been wondering along the same lines if there will emerge such a meet-up between Orthodox Jews, fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Moslems who share some of the identical social positions. And I keep wondering what it is that the emergent Jews and emergent Christians are finding lacking in the current religious experience… those are the dots I am trying to connect… what is it? Is it intimacy? Smaller groups? Deeper relationships? What? Thanks for pointing this out—it may indicate a broad cultural shift that all of us will have to respond to.
Andrea, could you give me more info on this group of "emergent" Jews? You said they met in Simi Valley which is not so far away from where I live.
I have a Jewish friend I think might benefit from connecting with this group.
Thanks!
Christin,
I emailed Doug Pagitt, who I know was at the gathering, and hopefully he can send some contact info along...
Keith,
Good questions... and when you connect those dots let me know! It is interesting that a discontent at some level with current forms of religion is not just an evangelical thing. Anyone know... is this happening at all in the Roman Catholic Church?
Post a Comment
<< Home