ordination
I'm getting ordained this Sunday. That's right, you can call me 'Rev' from now on, if you'd like.
My good friend Sarah J. asked me recently, "So what does it mean to you to be ordained?" She's good at asking questions like that.
Here are a few thoughts in no particular order...
* to me it means being set apart for ministry. I actually have five years of 'district-appointed' ministry behind me. So, I've already had the chance to do some living into my call to ministry. But there is something significant (dare I say supernatural?) about asking God to set me and my life apart for specific and intentional kingdom work. And this must be done in the context of community. Because as important as it is for me to ask for that set apart-ness, I can't explain why, but I feel like I need others to ask for it on my behalf as well.
* It is meaningful to me that I submit myself to authority. Ordination is a chance for me to publicly submit myself to God's authority over my ministry and to the Church's authority over my ministry. I need accountability. I need checks and balances. And... I also need confirmation of my call to ministry. There is something empowering about the church (which is representative of the universal Church) saying, "Andrea, you are called to ministry. You are gifted for ministry. And with God's blessing... now go do it!"
* It is also meaningful as a woman in ministry. I feel blessed to be a part of a faith tradition that doesn't question my giftings because of my gender. In theory, any door is open to me and there is no 'position' of leadership that is unavailable to me.
I guess there's a sense of humility that I'm having trouble verbalizing. I can't explain why, but I feel like I need God's annointing and I need other believers to come around me and lay hands on me. I have no idea what God has in store for me, but I know that I need God and I need others in order to get there. And ordination is a public opportunity to admit that need and receive the grace that comes in a place of want.
There are some ordained folks who read this blog... what has it meant to you? Was it a formality? Was it a means of grace?
Do you think there is something different about a lay person's call to ministry and a clerical call to ministry that warrents ordination?
What kind of Biblical basis is there for ordination?
Or, just say 'hi' and post a friendly or pithy statement unrelated to the post :).


9 Comments:
i'm not sure i can contribute to the exploration of the weight of ordination with anything but inarticulate stabs at how i feel. i'll spare you the rambling. i will say that i'm glad for the people who will be in the care of Rev. Andrea Summers, and glad for the Kingdom, and glad for your obedience to His call. i will join with the other members of His Body in praying for you, Set-Apart One.
"Biblical basis for ordination...." Hmmm....
Time for a Bible search!
Findings:
Numbers 27:23 (see 15-23)
the commissioning of Joshua
Acts 6:6 (see 1-6)
the commissioning of Stephen and others
(If they needed anointing to wait tables, how much more to minister the Word!)
Acts 13:3 (see 1-3)
the commissioning of Paul and Barnabas for missions
1 Timothy 4:14 (see 11-16)
Paul's admonition to Timothy, referring to his "ordination"
-------------------------
Thanks, (almost-Rev) Andrea, for the "jumping off point"! I love doing a little, impromptu word study like that!
God's blessing on your ordination! Excited about the possibility of seeing y'all on Sunday!
Are you getting ordained at Fairmount Camp? If so, we will totally be there.
As for my thoughts on ordination...I do think there is a biblical basis for it; but I have mixed feelings considering I have "done" ministry for over 14 years without being ordained. It's a similar feeling about the distinction between paid and unpaid staff: I get the difference, but sometimes the line between the divisions seems blurry.
Can (and does) God have a call on my life in ministry, and am I "set apart" for His call even though I have not completed a set number of courses or met with the DBMD?
I need to think about is more.
Regardless of all of this, I am celebrating with you this achievement and am excited to consider the continued impact your life and ministry will have on others for eternity.
Marcia - we'd love to see you guys!
Jaena - the service is actually at Lakeview at 2:30 (I think?)
I would certainly be present for your ordination... but I am in hawaii for my 40th... sorry (not as much as that sounds).
Congratulations and I welcome you to pordination..it means all you said and even more to me..
coach d
Congratulations Rev! And Sarah is just too skilled at asking those questions isn't she. One of the many things I appreciate about her. :)
Nice blog. Scripture? How about Ephesians 3:7-9 and 4:11-13. "It was He who gave some to be . . ."
Much of what you are saying can be applicable to lay people. Lay people who are called to lives of vocational Kingdom ministry also ought to be set apart and commissioned by the church, supported by their communities and held accountable, etc.
There are a few things that are different for ordained ministers. What, for example? The most important is that the church recognizes, sets apart, and trusts the ordained minister to open the Word of God, correctly interpret it, and communicate it to the church and to the world. This doesn't always mean in a pulpit on Sunday morning. It can be person to person, in Bible studies, teaching, writing, (blogging,) as well as preaching. But the church needs to recognize and empower people who are called and gifted and TRAINED to "rightly divide the Word of truth."
Also, you are being ordained very specifically to this role in The Wesleyan Church, and the vows make clear that this is not just some "general ordination" but it implies a special relationship with The Wesleyan Church.
The easist place to get the full distinctiveness of the meaning of ordination? In your ordination vows and liturgy that you will hear on Sunday. Probably you have already read them, but here is a link: http://www.westmichigandistrict.com/img/The%202004%20Discipline.pdf
Especially paragraphs 5768, 5772, and 5782 (the Charge, the Examination, and the Act of Ordination).
Hey congrats! Can't wait to talk sometime soon!
Congratulations, Andrea!!! I'm so excited for you. Thanks, too, for the exposition, Rev. Get in touch with me - I have a blog too, heidihovan.blogspot.com.
I miss you!
Post a Comment
<< Home