Friday, September 26, 2008

blinds: some things are worth waiting for

We closed on our home Aug. 31, have been living here for a week and a half... and only just today did we finally get our blinds installed. For a number of reasons - some our own fault an others the fault of a hardware store which shall remain nameless but rhymes with Mowes - it really has taken us this long. In the meantime we've put up butcher paper and sheets with bright blue painter's tape so that we can all dance around in our skivvies at night.

Last week I was in said hardware store that shall remain nameless, when Macy asked, "What are we buying at this store?" I responded, "blinds to cover our windows." Macy's response was what you'd have expected if I'd told her we were buying tickets to Disney World... jumping up and down laughing almost hysterically she finally exclaimed, "Oh mommy, you mean we can take down the paper and tape that's been covering my bedroom window? I can have a real blind now?"

It was at that precise moment that I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a woman's head whip around in our direction; on it a look of surprise mixed with judgmental concern. It was all I could do to keep my tongue from responding to Macy (for the benefit of our aisle buddy), "yes... happy birthday honey! And maybe for Christmas we can buy you a mattress too, so you don't have to sleep on the floor anymore!"

5 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Ha! How funny. It's so nice to see posts from you again! Congrats on the new baby!

I'd love to hear how you are liking Indianapolis. We finished our hike and are visiting family now. We were going to send you guys a "finish" postcard, but didn't have a new address for you. Hope you guys are doing well!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's great. Can't wait to see some pics of the new house.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

I understand waiting for blinds...we waited almost 3 years for ours...YEAH we finally go them!!:)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Angela said...

So...do you think you'll ever blog again? ;)

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why I'm even commenting - but I was also wondering if you'll ever have another entry. If not, will you please delete your blog so that I don't feel compelled to check it once every month? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home