Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Apartment life


Living in an apartment complex has been a [good] adjustment, and you get used to noticing the comings and goings of your neighbors. There's the guy across the way with skulls in the rear window of his car. There's the neighbor two doors down who sits outside to smoke and play guitar. There's the cat lady (every apartment complex has to have one of those). There's the row of Korean families at the other end that eat their meals together. There's the lady that likes to dig through the trash and claim bent bad-mitten rackets, used candles, empty boxes, and broken lampshades for her own. There's the old man whose favorite past time is tinkering under the hood of his truck. And every day after school you can't miss the twelve-year-old girl with curly hair and braces who wobblingly but bravely rollerblades, regardless of the weather. The list goes on and on.

Around here there are fewer secrets. People know if you're having a party, if you're out of town, if you get new furniture, if parents are visiting, if you have cable installed, if you were out late, if you go on a walk, how often you deposit your trash (and what kind of trash you normally drop off).

I'd be curious to know how our neighbors identify us. Maybe we're the couple with the cute baby. Maybe we're the couple without any blinds (we took the blinds off our windows... hate blinds). Maybe it's something good, like - that family who jumped my car. Maybe it's something not so good, like - that couple with the wife who always seems to be in too much of a hurry to stop and chat.

How do you think your neighbors identify you?

5 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger kate debaene said...

my neighbors prolly identify me as the girl who:
keeps odd late college hours
never dresses up for work
always misses garbage day
screams everytime she sees the stray cat
plays guitar a little to loudly a little too early in the morning

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved your post! You're not in too much of a hurry to be observant. I'm not sure I would have noticed the braces, the used candles, or the skulls.

Who am I to my neighbor? Up until this week I thought I was perhaps just tolerated by a next-door neighbor to whom I would like to be (and have as) a friend. I'm the guy who takes opportunities to converse with him and (harmlessly) interrupt his outdoor chores or neighborhood runs. The other day he called and asked if he could use me as a character reference on a job application. I was surprised, but happy to be asked.

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Josh Jackson said...

I'd be the guy who's name comes up on the "list-of-people-that-steal-my-
wireless-connection."

Among other things.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Dad (Kerry),
Wow! How encouraging that your neighbor wanted you to be a character reference. This day and age it takes a lot of WORK and PURPOSEFULNESS to be a true neighbor. I have glimpsed first-hand your personal commitment to this friendship!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Josh,
Jeremy and I seriously considered including 'free wireless internet' on our list of amenities for our apartments in Marion... free for us too as the house is close enough to the IWU administration building to pick up the signal :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home