Liturgy
Not having been a part of a church that pays much attention to the church year, I have little personal appreciation for liturgy, but great conceptual appreciation. Liturgy, which within the context of a liturgical year, is like the seasons. It helps us to see God from different perspectives. The same tree-lined path takes on strikingingly brilliant differentiation depending upon the time of year. Why is this so? Because the earth, rotating around the sun, causes different tempatures, colors, precipitation, beauty, and stirring in the souls of men. So the liturgical calendar helps us (as a community) to see God from different perspectives as we walk in an ever-widening circle... each lap taking in more and more of Him.
I think liturgy is like a courtship - it is the framework that allows us to get to know God better in community. Liturgy is a growing romance that has not yet been consumated. We haven't yet been joined with Him completely, but we're getting little glimpses and our desire is growing.


8 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Actually, it is not just high churches that have a lot of liturgy. Even churches that think they have no liturgy have a lot of it. Whatever becomes their customary practice to say and do (no matter how spontaneous it may have been originally) becomes their liturgy. High church liturgy has more history and intentional theological content and depth, if it is taken seriously and kept fresh. Lower church liturgy gets stale too, maybe even faster---we have to keep shaking things up.
I love the church year and the changing theological seasons, and I vote for greater recognition and use of this in our communion.
The students now attending Schenck's service at College church here says a lot about this I think.
Andrea,
This is Jeff Meyers from back in the QC- my wife and I attended HWC, remember? I lurk on your blog occasionally and wanted to pipe in and tell you (a) I have enjoyed your postings and (b) I agree w/ Kerry. The fact is how we approach God is our liturgy. Whether we utilize the Book of Common Prayer with its wonderful prayers or weekly sing three praise choruses, then watch a drama, followed by a slow solo during an offertory, we all have our liturgies. It's too bad modern evangelicals have turned their backs on the rich traditions of the RC & Anglican Communion. These liturgies at least have the benefit of tying us to our brothers & sisters in Christ from centuries (if not millennia) past.
PS- I wish you the best of luck and offer Jeremy the same.
Nice blog. Simple. Short and to the point. I liked it. =)
Andrea Summers!!! It has been forever since I've heard from you and Jeremy. I tried getting ahold of you in Indiana a few years back, but I think I had the wrong e-mail addresses. Cute kid, very squishy face.
That reminds me of Pottershouse when you said:
"Don't you just love making babies in supermarkets (awkward pause) laugh?"
My wife and I have one on the way as well (Sept). You can see pictures of her and our England life at www.getyourfill.blogspot.com or at www.xanga.com/scottie_in_the_uk.
I'm gonna head over to Jeremy's blog now and see how he is doing.
Great Job speaking at ICD Camp!! Danielle and i loved it!! you both are such a blessing!
Andrea, Nothing to do with this post, but I just read Jeremy's blog and I guess our second children with be closer than the two months between Bekah and Macy. We are due with #2 on April 11. We didn't even have to try this time. Let me know if you find a doctor. I was all set to go to my family doctor here like I did with Bekah in Indiana, but she doesn't deliver, so I haven't found a doctor yet and I'm working on 10 weeks pregnant. Need a doctor!! :~)
Post a Comment
<< Home