my door dilemma

Macy figured out, this week, how to twist and pull simultaneously. Not an easy feat, mind you. So now she opens and closes doors for the fun of it and is taking tremendous advantage of her new-found freedom.
After all, when she's done with her nap she can just get out of bed and join the world of the waking. Gone are the days when mom has a good ten to fifteen minutes before she's forced to find a stopping place in her homework and come open the door to her room. And then there's mom and dad's bathroom. Up until now it has been forbidden territory with the door always closed. Now, as long as she waits until mom and dad are occupied, she can always sneak away and eat at least a third a tube of toothpaste before being discovered.
"Andrea, just get some of those child-proof doorknob covers" you say? Simple enough, at least that's what I thought. Shortly after Macy's door-opening discovery I pulled out the ziploc bag of doorknob covers I've been saving for such a time as this. They were given as a shower present, I think. I carefully followed instructions, snapping them on five of the most 'dangerous' gateways into non-toddler-proofed space. And then I waited.
I could hear Macy in her bedroom rattling with the doorknob cover. I sat down with a smug smile, looking forward to a few minutes of uninterupted hot chocolate. I had barely slurped the mini marchmallows off the top before Macy came padding down the hallway and around the corner. With the palms of her hands facing up she shrugged her little shoulders, flashed a huge grin and said, "did it!" Shortly thereafter all the doorknob covers were scattered around the floor of the house, snapped in two.
So, childproof (and I use that term loosly) doorknob covers don't work in our house. The people who design those things should be locked up in a room full of toddlers with all their favorite breakables protected by their own useless inventions. Anybody have any suggestions?


6 Comments:
you could build a mote. it works in movies and on several rides at disney world.
i find this funny, because as an adult i struggle with the child proof apparati.
I have to admit that this post made me laugh, Andrea. But I may not be laughing in a few months when Madelyn is getting into everything...
In trying to remember what we did with Elisha, I think we used gates at the doorways. I either gated him *in* or *out* depending on my needs: in his room for naptime or out of the kitchen so I could fix dinner or out of the bathroom in general. You could try it...
Always the practical one (which is easy when you're sans kids...), how about those little metal "flip up and slide" (I'm sure that's the technical name metal lock things like in bathroom stalls? It may not be the most beautiful door decoration you have... but it might protect those little, obscure rooms in your house...?
The people I nanny for had the same problem with their middle child and they used these: http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2001 They are really easy to install and since they are attached to the top of the door Macy shouldn't be able to reach them. I have to stand on my tip-toes to do some of theirs, but you and Jeremy are both taller than I, so that shouldn't be a problem! Good luck!
The white, plastic door knob covers don't work well either. Both of my girls figured those out pretty fast, too. Good luck ; )
Andrea,
You should have Jeremy set up the old Bowman penny lock. Then she will not get out.
Post a Comment
<< Home